Sunday, November 9, 2008

Thing #8

What do you like about RSS and newsreaders?
How do you think you might be able to use this technology in your school or personal life?
How can libraries use RSS or take advantage of this new technology?

I like the RSS and newsreaders in the way they save time. I set one up and linked all the blogs from our class as well as a few others. I have been checking the other blogs to see what others have said about the "Things" and many times have found that nothing has been updated since the last time I checked. I won't have to do that anymore! I also like the fact that if I want to actually go to the blog that I can click at the title of it at the top and it opens in a new window. This way I can see pictures if any were posted, since the RSS mostly just shows the text. I thought it just showed text but the pictures on the posts of the Librarian Philosopher show up on the feeds!

This technology is great for my personal life (as far as furthering my education) because I can more easily monitor blogs that pertain to library and keep myself updated on information that applies to my studies. This would be great also, if I had family that posted personal blogs, it could keep me informed on their lives as they post. I would like to keep my blog going after this class as a personal blog and give my family the link so that they can stay updated on my life. I have no family in Houston, so it would be a great place to keep them updated on my family along with pictures. I hope that I can set up an RSS feed for my inlaws (they have a computer, but mostly use it to play solitaire) so that they can check it for updates. I am not very good at emailing, but I think I could post once or twice a month and with the RSS friends and family wouldn't waste time checking my blog unnecessarily. We always do a Christmas letter and this year I am going to include my blog site in the letter.
Libraries can use RSS to keep updated on information and library trends. I think it has the possibility to keep you updated on book reviews. Since I am still learning in my pursuit of library science I am not yet familiar if there are websites that might regularly update information on reviews that could be linked to an RSS, but it certainly would be beneficial in selection.
Once I have researched it more, I can include the best news and blogs related to libraries in my RSS feed. Teachers could be taught how to blog and set up their own blog, then teach the students how to set up RSS to keep up with assignments from teachers. If teachers are working in groups or teams, they can keep each other up on planning if they set up each other in their RSS.
I imagine that professor's at University's could use an RSS to check the progress of their class when they have a blog assignment so that they don't have to keep checking the blog! :)

No comments: