Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thing #16

I think wiki's can be a valuable tool for grade level teacher planning. If teachers work as a group to plan, then each can put info. that they have found into the wiki and then hopefully double work won't be done. It can be a great collaboration tool between the teacher and the librarian as well when planning collaborative lessons. Teachers can use wiki's with their students to answer discussion questions as well, but I think I might prefer the blog format better.
I did go ahead and set up a wiki for my family. I thought that this year for the kids' Christmas lists, if we all have a list on the wiki, when someone decides that they will buy a certain item--they can put their name next to it. That way instead of many phone calls for who is taking care of what, or emails that get confusing--we should all be able to keep up. We'll see how it works.

One thing I did see when looking at some of the wiki's and I could be wrong, but it seemed that they were more temporary than a blog. They seem to get used for a certain purpose and then never get used again. Those with more wiki experience, what do you think?

3 comments:

VWB said...

Wikis can be temporary workspaces or drop off points for info. Once the work is accomplished, the wiki is often abandoned.
Wikis can serve as a place to continually add new info as well.
After all, they are simply a form of webpage so you will see all kinds in alll states of use.

Busy Mom said...

VWB, is there a way when searching for wikis on a certain topic to see if they are current wikis where info. is added? I found alot of bad links in some of the library wikis that I looked at, but maybe they were just some of the first things added to those wikis. Can you tag wikis for reader updates the same as you can blogs?

Vierling said...

You had two really great ideas for wikis- Christmas present lists and grade level planning. Great time saving ideas!