Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thing #11

This is going to be a great tool for my own personal library. I have so many children's books that I sometimes forget if I have the book or not, particularly in the series of Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer. I know I have more than 1 copy of some of the titles. By putting all of my books in Librarything, I will be able to check to see if I have a book before I buy. Or for that matter, if a colleague is looking for a book and I am not sure if I have it--it's right there at the computer to check. I also don't have to put the books in any sort of order, because if librarything shows a duplicate ISBN# it tells me. This will really help as I'm trying to put them on my account and my children mix them up as I am doing it.
I checked out a couple of the groups and joined the one that's called Librarians who Librarything. I already got a useful tip on how to use it as a librarian when helping people look for books. ShannonMDE wrote "I use it for Readers Advisory. Help I've read everything by James Patterson, Danielle Steel, Louis Lamour, etc.. Also, use it for send me a good western, romance, etc.. particularly useful for genres I don't regularly read." So if someone has read everything by a certain author, I may be able to help them find another author that they might like. I am really looking forward to using this more!

1 comment:

Barry said...

LibraryThing is wondeful. One idea is to start 3rd graders off writing reviews of all the books they read. By the time they are seniors they would not only have a list of all the books they had read but also a look at how their writing had changed over the years.