Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thing #19

I investigated a genealogy site called My Heritage. I created a little bit of a family tree. Feel free to view it. It was extremely easy to do. I will have to look for information on birth dates and some death dates, but I will be going back to fill in much more of my family tree. You can add pictures and other information as well. I don't have any information in a genealogy program, but if I did, I could import that information directly into this program. It also has a calendar, so you could make this an extended family page and keep extended family events or even birthdays on this calendar. Another thing that I might want to do is let my family know about it and they can fill in their own information as well as other information that they may have that I don't have filled in yet. There is even a place to put recipes. So those secret family recipes won't be lost. You can keep track of activities that are happening as well.
As far as libraries and schools, I think that this is a valuable tool for students to make their own family tree. It is user friendly enough that it could be used by 2nd or 3rd grade. The great thing is that the kids could save it and go back to it when they are older--or add information throughout their growing up years. What a history they could leave for their children!

No comments: