Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thing #15

Library 2.0 has to be where libraries are headed if we are to keep patrons. I like what the "Away from the Iceberg" article said on the 'just in case' scenario. Why spend money on hard copies of books just in case someone wants something on that topic? If the occasion occurs where someone does need information on something that the library has chosen to not hold a hard copy of any longer--then connect the patron to the web resource for that. The information is out there and it is ridiculous to spend money on some things 'just in case' someone needs it once a year, when you can get the same on the web. Libraries need to focus on the books and media that the patrons crave. They must be "user-centric" as the "iceberg" article also said. One library which I frequent is the Freeman Library in Clear Lake. I discovered this gem last spring during my Children's Lit. class. It is what I would like to see the school libraries go toward. There is a computer lab and in addition, laptops for check out and probably 75 more computers for patrons to surf the web, play games, do research, etc. They have a night for their young adult section that is "Guitar Hero" contests. If we are not focusing on what the people of today want--the library will become a museum. My husband likes to visit museums and read all of the information in front of each exhibit--but I am more of a children's museum type of person. I want interaction with the exhibits. The same goes for libraries. We are coming upon a generation of multi-taskers. We need to meet their needs and give them things they can interact with. My 2nd grader reads very well, but he also enjoys listening to books on tape, because while he's listening he can do something else. His vocabulary has grown tremendously through listening to books, and when he does sit down to read--his reading has improved because he has transferred some of that listening vocabulary into his reading. I know that the 'playaways' are starting to be used in some libraries and I have heard some say--they don't think it's good because then the kids aren't really reading. But if they are getting great literature in a digital format, it will increase their knowledge. I have seen it through my 2nd grader in his writing at school. His teacher recently showed me his How-to paper that he wrote and I was totally amazed. It is far above his grade level and I truly believe it comes not only from reading he has done, but much that we have listened to in the car on the way back and forth to school. I do read with my kids some at night, but with busy schedules, it doesn't always happen. Since we started listening to books on tape last spring--he has actually asked for more, and sometimes we bring the CD inside to finish listening because of an exciting part. He chooses this sometimes, instead of turning on the TV. I can see that my children are in a different library world than what I grew up with and I want to make sure that they remain excited about learning. 2.0 is the way to get there, with the extensions of 3.0 and 4.0. I am looking forward to learning more how to utilize and build a true 2.0 library when I am in one!
School libraries are going to have to convince the administration that 2.0 is something in which to invest to keep up with the student's technology of today.

No comments: