Saturday, September 6, 2008

Thing #2

The easiest habit in the 7 & 1/2 for me is #7 teaching and mentoring. I have that caretaker personality, but while I'm "taking care" of others, I want to help them learn so they will be more independent.
One example is coaching my 5 year old's soccer team. As coaches we also co-referee our own games. Every year while I'm refereeing, I not only coach my team during the game but the other team as well. Coaching kids so young, most of the coaches are parents who have no experience in playing soccer. Even though I only played soccer 1 season in 7th grade, I have learned a lot in coaching my other son the last 4 years. I especially learned a great deal the year we had a senior on the high school soccer team help with the coaching. I love the looks on the opposing team's parent faces when I'm helping their team to score a goal!

No comments: